We are very happy to launch several new features today:
1) Ability to sign in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, and Yahoo!
2) New sharing buttons that include a counter so you can see how many time a web page was shared.
3) Improved sharing widget that suggests related content based on what you share.
4) Last but not the least: a truly innovative ShareThis Stream where you can see what is currently trending and shared on the web.
We apologize in advance for your addiction
I want to apologize in advance for the fact that you may get seriously addicted to our stream, as we all became addicted to it while building and testing it. For example, this morning Jenny, one of our engineers, told me “my husband didn’t want to go to sleep last night because he tried the Stream and said he just re-discovered the internet!” Here’s what you may find yourself doing with the Stream:
- Checking the “Trending” stream for a view of what your friends are saying about what’s hot on the web.
- Watching the “Real-Time” Stream for a view of what everyone is sharing across 130,000 sites, instantly, in real-time. Warning: you’ll see some jewels and some of the weirdest content ever, but that’s what makes it entertaining.
- Frantically checking MyShares, where your favorite shared web pages are automatically saved when you’re signed in.
- Searching… You will love how our search feature makes you smarter as you find the best and most recently shared web pages about a specific topic. For example, let’s say you want to learn more about the unusual giant inflatable beavers from the Vancouver Olympics closing ceremony last night.
So you have been warned
Why the Sharethis Stream is different
What is unique and innovative about the ShareThis Stream is the fact that we use sharing data from ALL sources and channels, which include Facebook, Twitter, Google, MySpace, a ton of others, and also email. This means that we have the ability to find the hottest topics at any given moment based on what people are REALLY sharing, because our stats include all possible sharing channels. Our stream will also be one of the first to bring together, in one place, both what your friends are sharing and what the entire web population is sharing.
Here is a short video presentation:
Since the Stream is currently in early Beta, there are kinks for sure, but it’s more fun that way and you will see regular improvements based on your feedback. There will also be a bunch of new features soon, here is what you can expect in the next few weeks:
- Integration with all major social services such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, MySpace, LinkedIn, or Microsoft Live. This means that the Stream will include the best content from your friends whether they are on the web — all in one place.
- Ability to add your favorite topics or website to the Stream.
- A smarter stream that will adapt to your preferences in order to show you only what you like.
- Stats on what happens after you share a web page, such as how many people liked it, number of retweets, number of comments, etc.
- Cool new secret features I can’t tell you about right now
The ShareThis team has been working very hard on these new features in the past months, we hope you love them, and we can’t wait to know what you think about them.
So please give us your feedback, either by filling a survey here or by writing to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also connect with us on twitter.com/sharethis.
Dir. of Product Management & Sharethis Stream addict
Posted in: Share, ShareThis, social engagement, StreamAll posts